Model Cars Magazine Forum

SONIC-BOOM CHEZOOM!

Dr. Cranky

Thank you. Actually, the build is box stock except for a couple of little details I put on the interior, like the mesh covering the speaker grills, etc . . .

Like I said, it's a beautiful kit, but I think it's hard to find. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are two versions. One with an engine, and a curbside.

It also reminds me of how much I enjoyed the Boyd Coddington show a few years ago before he died. He had Charly, the painter, who did these amazing paint jobs . . . I think he's working for Chip Foose these days . . .

Woah, you found three on Ebay, I'll have to go look. Let's see how expensive they are. Again, they are quick, easy kits to put together and paint.

I think the most famous of these was painted by the late great Ricky Couch--that build is still emblazoned in my memory.

That looks sharp!! I remember when the original was built and it was covered in Hot Rod magazine way back when. I also felt the 1:1 car's paint was too dark and hid the custom lines of the car. Your color choice does it more justice.

Thank you. Actually, the build is box stock except for a couple of little details I put on the interior, like the mesh covering the speaker grills, etc . . .

Like I said, it's a beautiful kit, but I think it's hard to find. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are two versions. One with an engine, and a curbside.

That's right, there are two versions: The Quickbuilder (slammer, basically) and the Full Detail (with engine, interior and chassis). Same with AlumaCoupe.

Nice rendition...I remember having this kit. The Boyds Kits in that series all had rattle can colors that corresponded but, I like this variation better. I had the 16"x7" Eagle Alloy version of those Boyd Whittier wheels on my 1:1 '87 S10 back in the 90s.

Edited by Skydime

OH WOW, I did NOT know there was an "engine" version of the Aluma Rod. Thanks, now I gotta track one of those down too. :lol: :lol:

The full detail Aluma Rod is not really much to jump for joy about... The engine isn't really well detailed

Instruction sheet photos...

001-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Engine bay...

007.jpg

Rocker cover...

010.jpg

That's all the detailing it has...

And you know sometimes that's enough. I don't know if this happens to you folks but sometimes I just want to build something simple and with less parts.

I agree with you 100%. I love to build a low peice count kit or a snap tite just to break up the madness.

And you know sometimes that's enough. I don't know if this happens to you folks but sometimes I just want to build something simple and with less parts.

EXACTLY.....and actually some of the most incredible builds I've seen were "curbsides" some didn't even have much in the way of interiors either...a high parts count doesn't make a great build tongue.gif.... nice work on the Chezoom R.I.P Boyd!biggrin.gif

Beautiul, I tell you it builds into a nice model, curbside or not . . .

I love curbsides because you can practice your painting skills in a short time and produce some very good looking models for your shelves and collection.

Thank you for sharing your work and ideas with EYEGORE, you know he loves to make his eyes pop out! :)