amangujral06

My HAVOC 15" box - your views / reviews

Hi guys, here is an attached pic of the box i'll be soon going to get made, Using .75" MDF and .5" mdf for inner port walls.

The box shape will remain unchanged, took many hours to decide the slot port for this.

And new suggestions opinions are welcome.

Drawing-Model.jpg

Edited by aman gujral

Definitely interesting. Never seen a box built like this.. What kind of vehicle is this going in? And is the port going to be rear or forward firing?

Definitely interesting. Never seen a box built like this.. What kind of vehicle is this going in? And is the port going to be rear or forward firing?

The port is forward firing.

Its going n a hatch back, removed the rear seat and will be cushioning on the port wall so as to keep it look stock.

I'd round all port corners, and put 45's in the port, those are awfully odd angles

I'd round all port corners, and put 45's in the port, those are awfully odd angles

round the port corners, yes that is a good suggestion, i'll def do that.

and put 45's in the port - please enlighten me on this.

had to use those odd angles, else i wasn't able to achieve this volume or tuning . I just hope odd angles won't effect how the subwoofer response. The worst part was to accommodate the slot port. I had tried over 10 designs for the same. :lazy:

I like it. I can't imagine that there will be any adverse affect on the sound. That's some ingenuitive thinking on that port, can't wait to see the results!

what kinda car is this goin in? hatchback? also is this for a 15" or 18"? . i recently ot a 93 mustang hatch and been trying to figure out a box design for a single 15. i really like how this is looking, especially by removing the "back" part of the seats and padding the box. very good idea there man, i never thought of that which will give me more space to work with. :drink40:

is there a reason u decided sub back port forward? lol backseat passengers will have air conditioning

what kinda car is this goin in? hatchback? also is this for a 15" or 18"? . i recently ot a 93 mustang hatch and been trying to figure out a box design for a single 15. i really like how this is looking, especially by removing the "back" part of the seats and padding the box. very good idea there man, i never thought of that which will give me more space to work with. :drink40:

is there a reason u decided sub back port forward? lol backseat passengers will have air conditioning

its going in a hatchback. This is for the 15" .

In my testing with port placement, i found, i get the loudest output when port is facing horizontally, rather vertically.So i went for this configuration.

the sub will face the boot lid and the port will face the front wind shield.

Edited by aman gujral

Going to have to do more then 45s in the corners, going to have to round the corners on the inside of the box for a smooth airflow.

Hi , been a long time since i made up my new box - so here it is ! a revised box , now tuned at 33 hz !

The cad design

boxxxxx.PNG

The box starting to take place

0627_185034.jpg

Making those angles wouldn't have been easy for the carpenter.

0627_185126.jpg

the part that will make it all happen !

0627_204007.jpg

and there it goes in the box...

0628_120328.jpg

a channel provided - for future expansion :P . a panel can be added in the channel though to change the tuning frequency !

0628_120608.jpg

an inside view of the magic port ..

0628_141353.jpg

another view

0628_141428.jpg

weapons of mass destruction

0628_141730.jpg

0628_141840.jpg

will upload some more pics with the sub in it and the bracing that was added later . Now i decided to tune it at 33 hz and decreased the port length to tune it at 33hz.

the box can really move some air , but it lacks the music capability ! its not punchy , a little slow and tends to become boomy .

i have tried various different configurations passing it at 80hz at 12db slope, at 63 at 6/12db also at 50 and lower with 6/12db slopes . subsonic s at 25hz and ts being powered by a blaupunkt vpa 1500pro mono amplifier , which delivers 1500rms@ 1 ohms . so here is my next question to you --------

What frequency should i tune the box to , make the sub more snappier and punchier ? also to decrease its boominess .

Edited by aman gujral

Im you want less boom just tune higher..

In your situation i would go with aero ports. Make it about 4 Cu ft to 4.5 tune to 35- 37 hz with about 10-12 square inches of port per cube of enclosure and you willl have a great sounding flat punchy enclosure... Use torres calculator to make your box.

This box is already made now, and this design is finalized as it acts as my rear seat too. . It has a little more than 4.5cu ft volume and 54sq inches of port area .

I can change the port length to vary the tuning but i once read it on Hertz subwoofer manual , that if its a slot port box and the port is along the wall then , we have to keep it 30% shorter then calculated to achieve the tuning frequency ! else it gets tuned even lower - well it makes perfect sense ! If i go by hertz audio suggestion - it means my current box is also tuned much lower than what i intended it to be..

I too also wanted to tune it to 35hz but was scared to make my sub bottom out at tracks having below 35hz content . I really dont know what to do ! music was om much simpler to enjoy in 80s-90s .

and does the car tuning frequency play a role with a box design , for it to play flat ?

Edited by aman gujral

A Havoc isn't going to have super loud punchy bass, because its designed to blend well into your front stage.

I'm sure if you tuned in the 40hz range it'll become much more "punchy", but then you lose your low end.

already have those , cdt 062i with extended midbass version , getting 200 watt rms @ 80hz 12db .

Edited by aman gujral